Doers

I finally got to execute a DIY project I have been planning for quite some time. It's a cupboard that I had wanted to put up at the kitchen, so I could store away everything that I don't use often and free up space. This is actually a part of a general 5s initiative that I would like to implement in the entire house that I just moved into. I am starting with the kitchen.

I hired a carpenter to do the installation. But I created the plan- how it would look like, how to cut the wood panels to ensure there is no, if not very minimal, wastage, and how I would like it installed. I got the materials- ply boards, glass, stickers, screws, hinges (there are 3 types- C1, C2, C3), glues and laminates. So basically, he only had to do the manual work, strictly following my instructions.


At first, I had wanted to do everything myself. I mean if people could learn to do switch-it-up challenge from YouTube, I should be able to learn carpentry, too. Judging by how my first tuna pasta and Gambas went (well, the pasta was a hit among friends, but the Gambas...let's just say, I didn't have to worry about cooking for the next two days), this would be peanuts. Everything is on the internet! And what could be so difficult with cutting slabs of wood, putting them together and hang them on the wall? Seriously, getting Robin to bathe would be off-the-charts harder.

Except…

There was one small detail that I needed to face. And this was really the only issue I had with a full DIY cupboard. I would have to shop for tools like drill, circular saw, and others. And, of course, a new tool box. Oh, and build a garage where I could do the work without distractions. This was impractical.

Later on, I would soon learn that it could not have been just the practicality in terms of expense. The week before, I tried re-doing a set of curtains that I would no longer be able to use on the windows of the new house. It was going to be just straightforward cut and, then, hem. I imagined how I would do this several times. I was even going to do Roman blinds out of them, so I could easily tuck them when I want to. I thought why just go for a simple curtain when I could do something more stylish?

This was a disaster.  There was grave difference between what I had imagined and the universe of hems and hemming.  I gave up after 4 hours of trying, and decided to just bring them to a tailoring shop.

This disillusionment led me to accept that I could not risk wasting ply boards and that it’s time to hire reinforcement to build the cabinet.  He worked on the boxes, the frames and drilling them to the wall with ease. I worked on the doors. A month ago, I found nice pre-fabricated cupboard doors that would fit the overall look I wanted to achieve. I installed the glass panels I had made at a glass shop, and put stickers making them look stained. It took us just a day to finish the entire thing. And the result was fantastic! It could easily beat the cupboards at Ace, which cost an arm and a leg.

I might still have pulled this off on my own if I had pushed for it. The resulting cupboard might look as nice if not nicer because mediocrity is for the hardware cashier who never smiles. But I would definitely waste a lot of ply boards and, definitely, time getting there. And maybe, rulers, too, after I break them out of frustration. Some people are really just naturally good at planning and others doing, and if I want work done fast and of good quality, I would have to find these doers.

But, I am still not counting out buying some more tools and building that garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment