Capturing Pasig Palengke

Who knows where else my feet could take me?
It was a ridiculous idea to go to Pasig Palengke (Pasig Public Market) at one in the morning, and that's why I went. When my housemate asked if I wanted to go, I did not hesitate. Besides the experience of going there that early, it's a place I had always wanted to take street photos in.

I had never thought I could get vegetables and fruits at a much lower price at 1:00 a.m. Apparently, this is the best time to go if you want the freshest of goods at discounted prices. But it might not have been the safest hour.



First, the ride to the market was scary. It was probably the only time I had wished for the worst of traffic jams. The driver was too happy the roads were clear and drove like he didn't care if the jeepney's tires would come off. At one in the morning, drivers had nothing in their way to slow them down, and that's why many terrible accidents happen around this time. In fact, we had seen two serious car accidents on our way back. Second, the market, even during the day, is a dangerous place for people who attract robbers and pickpockets. You can just imagine how it would be like at night or at dawn. 

Almost empty streets at 1 am.
So, bringing a bulky camera is out of the question. As a matter of fact, if I had just wanted the experience of being there, I would have left my phone at home, as smart phones are hot targets for robbers, too. But, I had to take the risk. What is going to markets for if not for a little adventure. It was never for the fresh broccoli or ampalaya. No. Not even for the sweet-smelling pineapple that you could get at almost half the price of those being sold at the mall's grocery store. 

I was there to capture my amazement at these people who have adopted the working hours of most multinational companies. I wanted to be able to document the hardship of physical labor in a place that should be considered heaven, as this is where one can get healthy and delicious food, but is instead considered dangerous and unhygienic. I wanted to bring back with me how, even in a dank place like Pasig Palengke, people still find a reason to smile and move forward. I wanted to freeze unguarded emotions of mothers who wave off sleep to fend for their families; to steal pictures of sleepless lovers as they kiss over crates of oranges; to take pictures of small-framed but muscular young men as they lift and carry heavy basket-full of fruits while cracking jokes at each other; to somehow understand how one can settle for a couple of coins, hoping to have enough for breakfast later, and hope there will be more for lunch, never mind dinner. 
Kargador up early for the just delivered veggies

But, I am not as brave as they are. I already found it difficult if not impossible to raise my phone and take photos without thinking it would be snatched out of my hands. There is nothing more frustrating for somebody who is learning photography to see moments flit and not capture them. I wished I'd had a more discreet camera. But it was fine. It was an interesting experience to be at Pasig Palengke at a time when most of the metro is fast asleep. It was already a great experience to see the market bustling hours before sunrise.










1 comment:

  1. Actually there is a new organic stores Manila where you can also buy affordable fresh fruits, seafoods and vegetables. It is accessible in manila area since it is located in Caliraya Drive, Taguig City, Metro Manila. Hope you can visit there also.

    ReplyDelete