Mighty Kid


We were going to launch in March, but the sponsor’s latest E-mail said June. It said that, with a lot of things considered, next month is impossible, not even the month after that. Even the steering committee was convinced. I went back to typing an E-mail about the contract I needed signed within the next three days, so the project could start. It took a few minutes for me to realize what this new mail meant, and its irrelevance. This is surprising considering that I have always considered time a river that will run dry any moment. And summer is fast approaching.

We can go on and build not minding whether it is March or June. Eventually, we’d get there. Completion of anything is not dependent on time. Rather, on how good in Math the data scientists are, on how we execute the integration plan, and in some cases on a red wheel barrow. Time is sometimes a distraction, and if I am not careful, it can get in the way of what needs to be done.

But not always.  

Time, too, is a reminder of possible futures.  I will not forget to turn the fish I am frying or I will remember how charcoal tastes. I will remember not to soak my whites in chlorine longer than I am supposed to or I would be wearing very comfortable undergarments with the holes. More importantly, if I am having the worst day, I know that I will get to play fetch with Robin, Vera, and Ares back home. Nothing lasts forever.

My earliest recollection of my mother buying me a pair of shoes was when I was four. She bought the most beautiful pair of Mighty Kid shoes. I vowed to never wear them, and to sleep with them in their box that night. They were going to be new forever.  I guess you know what happened next. Well, maybe not. I lost them in the back of the tricycle on the way home from the store. Some things just stay with you for an even much shorter while.

I finished typing the E-mail to legal, slouched for a while, and thought, “June”. That’s three more months. 

Time is a river that runs dry any moment. And the wind is getting warmer by the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment