Pre-summer Drive: Baler- Dipaculao- Maddela- Nueva Vizcaya


Taking a break to stretch
I have recently taken up driving to the country side. Every now and then, I would look at the map, and check which places I could explore, but this time, not through public transportation as I used to. Driving calms me more than sitting on the sofa and watch Justice League again. When I drive, I experience silence in that I focus on the road and the roadside scenery, away from the noise in my head. This also gives me a good opportunity for beautiful photographs- materials for my photo collage that I am planning to put up on my living room wall.


Baler

This break, I decided to drive through Baler, then to Dipaculao, all the way to Maddela, Quirino, then back to Manila through Nueva Vizcaya. I had never been through this route, and I could not sleep for days, excited!

The first time I went to Baler, I just had lunch and left. The crowd was too much for me, and it seemed we would never be able to find a place to stay the night. That time, there was a surfing competition, and it was a bad idea to be there without making reservations, as usually the case when I travel.
So, 7 years later, I went back and made sure that it was during the months when the waves would only be just right for people who are learning to surf. Also this time, I drove. It took me nine hours with all the customary stops that I take along the express way and the national highway. Driving would not be complete without these stops. In fact, I think that, secretly, I drive to places because of the stops that I make along the way, may they be at the expressway gas stations, smaller gas stations on the national highway, waiting sheds, by the rice fields, by a beautiful coast, under a canopy of trees on ta roadside, and so forth. I really make good on the line that says it's not the destination...

So, Baler, was no longer as rustic as the town I remember years ago, when I had my grilled seafood for lunch. I saw several well-known fast food chains, and mini-malls. Still far from being a bustling city, but definitely, progress has started to change the town.

I still think that it is a place I could relax in. And because I stayed near the beach, I enjoyed the sound of the waves and the rainy mornings. It's still quiet and life there moves no faster than the drying of a morning dew. I didn't stay long, however. I wanted to drive further but before I left, drove around to some of the popular spots like the hanging bridge, Ermita Hill, and the weather station.

A bridge at the outskirts of Baler
View from Ermita Hill
An artist's rendition of the very few families that survived the Tsunami that hit Baler in the 1700's.

Before driving to Dipaculao, we stopped by Ditumabo falls, took some photos and a dip in its very cool water. From Baler town proper, the drive took about half an hour, and the trek from the parking area, another half. With the humid weather, jumping into the cool and clear water was pure bliss.
On the way to Ditumabo falls

The haze was due to the mist coming from the falls.

To Dipaculao

The drive to Dipaculao was far from boring (see the excerpt below). The road led to small towns, through mountains, by the coast, up and down till we got to a cute row of cottages along the highway, where we decided to stay the night.
The cottage where we stayed in.



Dipaculao is much smaller than Baler, but its beach is much prettier, though the waves are still too strong for a good swim. We did see the Pacific sunrise as the weather had gotten better. However, we could not find anything to do, so we decided to hit the road again the next day after checking out the beach and a small waterfalls that was damaged by a recent typhoon.

Pacific Sunrise



The Drive Home

From Dipaculao, we took the road less traveled: Aurora-Quirino highway. This road started out well-paved, making the drive smooth, like floating on air. One third into the highway, however, it started to get rough. It was not the kind that a sedan could not go through, but the concrete disappeared, and we even passed through a section that is still being repaired. The rain must have caused a landslide. We passed through a part of the road where both sides look like a fatal fall if the driver misses a turn (see video excerpt below). Fortunately, the unpaved road was just about one kilometer long.


It would be another nine-hour drive from Quirino to my place, which for most drivers would probably be 3 hours shorter. What can I do? I dig the stops on the way. Late lunch in Nueva Vizcaya or the coffee and dessert in Ecija would taste better on a roadtrip. I also don't mind getting home late, especially if the alternative is going through EDSA when the traffic's the worst.

I am ready for the noise again.

Dipaculao Beach

View from my hotel in Baler

I chanced upon this farm while making a stop at a roadside for a stretcher.
Stopped by a beach on the way to Dipaculao.


Trek to Ditumabo Falls




No comments:

Post a Comment