Sambawan Island

It was not easy finding a boat that would take us to Sambawan on Holy Thursday. For a moment, I feared I would postpone going there again. The last time I had planned on being in Sambawan, I had run out of time and decided to go for Kalanggaman instead, which is one of the best change of plans I have ever made. Kalanggaman island is beautiful. But, that did not diminish my curiosity about this island in Maripipi, Biliran. I just had to see it for myself.

After finding out that the ship that regularly leaves for Maripipi did not have any scheduled trip that day, my friend and I went around looking for alternatives. It took time, but we found someone who has a small boat that can take us there and back. And when I say small, it was just enough for the three of us: the boatman, my friend, and I. Of course the size worried us a bit, and there were no life vests, but we are also aware that when you look for alternative transportation, safety might have to be compromised a little. Besides, how else do we define adventure?

From Naval (where we bought food for the two-day stay in the island), we took the man’s habal-habal to Kayawan, where his boat was. His wife was also nice enough to lend us her umbrella to shield us from the sun on the way to the island. At 10 am, it was hot.

With a little scare from the waves, we got to the island in one piece. Sambawan’s water did not disappoint. The moment I saw it, I wanted to just leap out of the boat and take a swim. With the sun out, the sky so blue it would shame the smurfs, and the water as green as my mother's pair of jade earrings, it would be a sacrilege to just let it all be a spectacle!

We were told the water around the island is a good spot for diving, but I have this thing about depth and height. It didn't help, too, when one of the caretakers of the island said that there were a lot of sharks in the area. So, instead, I pitched our tent, unrolled our mats took out our traveling pillows, read and slept. Sambawan island is really just that. A perfect place to laze around and read.

This would have been a perfect getaway if not for the never ending election jingle played by some mayor and his men. They were there for a night, and it was just crazy how they play the jingle over and over, spoiling the quiet of the island. But, it was fine. It would take more than an annoying election jingle to distract me from my book under the Talisay tree.

Being in Sambawan was worth the while. For two nights, I got my needed rest. More importantly, I would no longer have to wonder about this beautiful island.




Travel Notes:


To get to the island, you need to get to Naval, Biliran first. You can take vans from Ormoc or Tacloban (3 hours)
From Naval, you can take the ship that goes to Maripipi (there are three ships that leave per day except Sudays), but I recommend you take the one that leaves for Maripipi at 10:30am.
Travel Time: 1.5 hours
Fare: Php 75

An alternative is to hire a boat in Kayawan, Biliran.
Habal habal to Kawayan fare: Php 200
Travel time: 40 minutes
Boat from Kayawan to Sambawan
Travel Time: 2 hours
Fare: Php 1500 to Ph 1800

Registration fee: Php 80/person
Environment fee: Php 20
Tent: 250
Cottages: Php 500 to Php 1000

There is a store in the island for basic needs, but it would be great if you bring your own food, since the store only has canned goods, noodles and eggs.


Gallery:








No comments:

Post a Comment