Globe Tattoo Pocket Wifi: A Review

After moving in to my new place, one of the first things that I took care of was Internet connection. I looked for something that would not take long to install, and preferably, without a contract that will require me to keep the connection for a year.

Globe tattoo’s pocket wifi fits the requirements. I only had to pay Php 1495 for the unit and then Php 999 as an advance payment for the plan.  The only thing needed from me besides the payment was two government IDs, and two hours later, I could start using any of my phone, laptop or desktop PC to connect to the internet.

There were considerations I had had to make before I went for Globe Tattoo’s pocket wifi.
    1.       Will the connection be good at my place?
    2.       How much Internet I can use for a month with Plan 999?
    3.       Can I have it disconnected anytime?
    4.       Would I be able to convert it to prepaid?

Signal is good at home. Globe representative warned me that the pocket wifi’s connection will be signal-based, so if the signal is weak, Internet connection would be a crawl, too. I was not worried about this, since for the first time in so many years, I don’t have to go out of the house when making or answering calls for a clear reception. I could get four-bar signal on my phone (which uses Globe) anywhere at my new place. Accordingly, my internet connection using the pocket wifi should be fine, too.

I was also warned that the Globe Tattoo’s pocket wifi plans do not have unlimited Internet connection. I can only consume 5 gig of data per month. Whatever is in excess will be charged on top of my monthly payment. However, according to them, my bill will never go beyond Php 1500, as part of their anti-bill shock promo even if I have consumed much more than what I could use for Php 1500.

As there is no contract, the plan may be disconnected any time. There is no lock-in period or a fee that I need to pay if I want to disconnect the plan. It would be my first to solely rely on 3G for internet connection, so I am very wary about it, and it is important that I can have it disconnected should I need to change connections. And, when that happens, I should still be able to use the unit. According to Globe’s representative, I would still be able to use a prepaid SIM with the pocket wifi. That way, I can still use it, especially when I travel.

This all sounds too good to be true, but hey, I am sucker for anything good, and besides, I needed Internet connection fast.

My billing statement came. I knew I would be charged for the 2 days that I had used the line. Activation was done two days before the billing cut off, so I need to pay around Php 60 for those two days, as also explained to me when I bought the unit. So, I did not expect the statement saying that I should pay Php 500. I called up Globe hotline to inquire. They could not explain the billing statement clearly but insists that it is right! I tried hard to explain how that cannot be knowing that I paid advance payment, and a couple of hours could not possibly cost five hundred pesos. I gave up, thinking that it is better to explain math face to face. What was I thinking!

After giving up on clarifying my billing statement with them, I asked about disconnection. At this point, I was already convinced that Globe is not a good choice. It only took 3 days to find out that Globe Tattoo’s pocket wifi is unreliable. Even if I always get good 4G signal (HSPA+), I still could not open multiple windows at the same time. Skype upload speed is laughable and whenever I post pictures, I would want to smash my PC for taking too long.

Imagine my surprise when I was told that to disconnect, I had to pay termination fee. What is worse is that the unit would be useless after disconnection, since I would not be able to convert it to prepaid. I even had to tell the representative on the phone to clarify with her supervisor, as these are all the things promised to me before I bought the unit. Her supervisor confirmed her statement.

Frustrated, I went back to Globe’s business center. There, I showed one of their representatives my billing statement, requiring me to pay Php 500+. Does that mean that the 2-day (a couple of hours each day) usage cost me that much? He took a look at the bill and told me there was, indeed, a mistake. He updated my billing statement, and this was done without apologies. I didn’t mind. Then, I asked about the disconnection and the possibility of using a prepaid SIM later. He merely said that maybe their customer representatives on the phone were not informed about the new policy. I should go back to their business center if I would be charged for disconnection, so they could waive it. And, it was said so simply, leaving me feeling like an idiot for worrying too much.

So, it seems that all these rumors about Globe’s fantastic customer service are true. I should have followed my hunch and avoided what’s just too good to be true.

And if you are thinking of getting one for yourself, make sure you are good in math and have a voice recorder ready when you talk to their representatives for documentation. It would seem that not only are their products unreliable, but their words, too.


12 comments:

  1. And you paid Php 14495 for the unit, too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nyahaha. Php 1495 Lang. Edited it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post! Ang mahal ng price mo jan Althea! Hahaha! Anyways, for online globe loading station visit LoadMeNa.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I am also using Globe tattoo pocket wifi before.. it was great but the connection sometimes isn't good so I tried Sun broadband pocket wifi which I first read on http://www.webbline.com/sun-broadband-pocket-wifi-mf-51-review/ and so far it is the best pocket wifi yet :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. in my case I was billed for early termination fee, I had tattoo at home connection then eventually we decided to transfer house, so when I spoke to an operator and provided my new address according to the operator no SLOT available for ADSL connection on my new address, so I decided to terminate the ADSL coz why should I keep it or pay for it if I can't use it.then after a month I received a bill w/ early termination fee notice
    I told them not my fault that they haven't got any slot for ADSL on my new address and I'm willing to continue the connection.I was really frustrated with the service.

    ReplyDelete
  6. in my case I was billed for early termination fee, I had tattoo at home connection then eventually we decided to transfer house, so when I spoke to an operator and provided my new address according to the operator no SLOT available for ADSL connection on my new address, so I decided to terminate the ADSL coz why should I keep it or pay for it if I can't use it.then after a month I received a bill w/ early termination fee notice
    I told them not my fault that they haven't got any slot for ADSL on my new address and I'm willing to continue the connection.I was really frustrated with the service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. They really need to improve their customer svc.

      Delete
    2. Hmm. They really need to improve their customer svc.

      Delete
  7. I also tried using their pocket wifi, I paid in advanced for 1k the n they send me my e bill with 300+ and another amount worth 800+ for the following month. How na may bill na agad ko.last october lang ako nagstart. The 800+ amount covered from oct 12 to nov 12. Confusing?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also tried using their pocket wifi, I paid in advanced for 1k the n they send me my e bill with 300+ and another amount worth 800+ for the following month. How na may bill na agad ko.last october lang ako nagstart. The 800+ amount covered from oct 12 to nov 12. Confusing?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pocket Wifi yoowifi provides you with global connectivity in more than 140 countries around the world using our unique virtual sim portable travel wifi device. Travel the world knowing that you can connect your smartphone, laptops, tablet, and game console to the internet whenever you want. Let us provide the wireless hotspot for you to stay connected securely and reliably to your loved ones and team members.

    ReplyDelete