Elevator Conversations

That I am not able to speak at the top of my lungs in an elevator full of people is a little frustrating. 

It's just not normal. 

Almost every day, I leave the office at 11 o' clock. I tap the magnetic door control with my ID after I log out through the biometrics (I am not required to do this, but well, if I am not disallowed to do it either, then why not? It makes my day more complete), then step out of the office to take a scenic elevator to the ground floor. This time, there would already be a long line of people waiting. 

Up to the last of the routine I just mentioned, everything would be something you would probably call non-out-of-the-ordinary.

Things become a little weirder when I fall in line. Yes, it starts there. Everyone except me, seems to be screaming at each other. At first, you would think they are squabbling over some lunchbox that went missing, but then you would notice that's not it. They couldn't be fighting and smiling and giggling at the same time. So, perhaps, they are all deaf. But then, reason would tell you this is something improbable, unless of course, you have the improbability drive that Douglas Adams invented. 

Why?

Let's see. First, you have a long line of people who happen to be all deaf waiting for their turn at the elevator, and you waiting with them. This is in a building that houses BPO offices, which would need people who are able to hear and understand someone over the phone. Second, you will need to multiply this phenomenon by the number of days that you would take the elevator. You would never consider this something probable.

The only thing that I could use to explain this is that I had missed a lot of days at school! Oh, and there is another one, I am not really as normal as I thought I was!

Well, to fit in, I tried doing this (yelling inside the elevator) once with a friend. I went, "HEEYY!" That was also the time I figured I needed training on this fast. It sounded like a croak more than a greeting. 

For these people, the normal ones, the yelling is something natural. They do it effortlessly, like the other person, who is actually standing beside them, is some 1 kilometer away. Once, I heard one say, "NOOOO! I THIIINK! YOU DOOOON'T HAVE THE RAAAAIIIGHT INFORMATIONSSS!" The other replies, "MAYYBEE. I DOOON'T KNOOOWW STUFFSSS LAAAIIIKE THAAAAT EEHH." 

I have been doing this routine for about 500 days now, since I got transferred back here in Eastwood, and I am amazed at how they efficiently manage to keep their voices. I would have a sore throat after a minute of talking like that. I also tried glancing at their ears to see if they are bleeding there, but they all seem ok. I have been smart with my own ears, though. I always put my earphones on and listen to music I skillfully arranged on my phone, with a volume that's just enough to eavesdrop without breaking my eardrums. At least I have learned a skill, being not-so-normal.

In envy, sometimes, I think of ways to evade them, or to learn automotive, so I could sneak into where the cables of the elevator are, and fix them in such a way that it would get stuck trapping them inside. I would only let them out when they have lost their voices for good.

Or to be less violent, I should just find a trainer. 
Where's my to do list...



No comments:

Post a Comment