Breaking Through Forgiveness


The other day, I read about the former president's arrest, and I could not stop myself from pitying her. Then, came the shame of this involuntary emotion, reminding myself of how she had robbed the country for a decade.
I don't know if I should be thankful for the reflection that followed after what I felt about her being served the warrant. I just thought that maybe they should have waited a little longer or till she got better. "For Christ's sakes, she can barely move!"
But that had been long overdue. I waited years for her to pay for what she had done, for insulting my capacity to think, for thinking she could get away with anything, for making me realize that if it isn't about me not being able to do anything, it is about me being lazy to do something.
I am not really sure whether humanity should still be considered at this point. If I look at the abuses that she had done, my anger awakens.
I just thought that there could be something about my instinctual pity for her (perhaps, a very Filipino attitude?). I know she does not deserve mercy. I know that she had committed all these deceptions with full knowledge of what she was sacrificing and disregarding. However, how could I still feel sorry for her, catching myself silently telling everyone, "Let her get well!"

Justice over humanity is more of the rational choice here. Compared to everything that she had wrought while in power, where she is right now is merely an inconvenience.
I must never forget that.

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen the photos of Gaddafi's final hours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. He must have been a real ass when he was in power. Pero, kawawa din.

    ReplyDelete