Shooters

The last time the world turned around in a rather strange way was five years ago.
She downs the Jack Daniels and smiles.
It’s my turn. But the world is turning funny again.
There I am, showing the class how 1 could be equal to 2 through a careless use of a logical contradiction. She is still waiting.
My parents are both saying that it is all up to me. CHOICE...
     Think about it. We are not always able to choose. Do you understand me? I mean, you could be thinking of choosing to become a lawyer. However, could you choose to pass the bar exam? Could you choose to be rich and live a comfortable life of a student learning all this and that of lawyering- Miranda rights, reading nothing beyond what the law says…Hold on, I need to piss.
     I knew it. One way to tell that a bar is cheap is through its restroom. I held my breath for 40 seconds. I should stop smoking.
     I think I can’t do this. This drink may be smooth but it tastes really terrible. How could anyone enjoy this drink!
     "We are drinking hey! This is no place for rationalizing!". Oh great. She is telling me to shut off my brain. Oh shut up! Why don’t you ever rest?, I hiss at myself. It is this noise that prevents me from getting to that favorite spot I have in my mind. What was it? I can’t even remember.
     "It’s just a drink." She is saying something about destiny…
     He knows that in spite of the genial fronts that people display, they hate him. It is not even about familiarity blossoming into contempt. It is the first time they lay eyes on him, when they realize he is condemned to the gutters of being loathed. He is the personification of disgust, of everything detestable.
     Ah shrug them off! You should be you because that is who you want. If you live by the standards of others you don’t even care, then you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Humph! Putting on clothes not even yours. What, for show? If you think you could be better, then there are countless ways to leave the past and see what you can be in the name of love.
     We shake hands. "Thanks…ey get up! Ey!"
     "You ok?" I guess so. She says we had better get home. Five years back, I would have just tucked myself in bed. Now, I have to hail a cab and hope the driver wakes me up when we have arrived. I wish I could choose to say no to her, to them.
Really. CHOICE.
For one, I did choose to take the cab and not the bus.





No comments:

Post a Comment